Saturday, January 23, 2016

Derro Trio

The notion of gathering a team to explore the slowly-thawing ruins of a once-great city seems a little on the nose today, given the blizzard that's currently hitting the East Coast. None the less, here are the latest additions to my growing band of adventurers--a trio of rather grumpy-looking dwarves.

(OK, technically they're listed as "derro," which in D&D are some demented subspecies of dwarves, but I did not bother to look this up before painting them, and thus they lack the distinctive coloration of derro. So--dwarves.)


First, we have just a regular Derro, apparently one of a set of three, though I didn't end up with either of the other two. I had a bit of fun doing his hat. He doesn't seem particularly heavily armed or armored (just some sort of hook/club thing and some rope) so I'm thinking he'll be a rogue or thief.



This guy is the Derro Leader, a little more heavily armed than the first. He's kind of asymmetrical; his left arm has some sort of padded protection and a thick leather glove, while his right arm is bare except for an oddly-shaped buckler. In Frostgrave terms, he'll probably end up as a Thug.


And here we have the Derro Mage. His pendant strongly suggested an eye, so that's how I painted it. Between that, and his demon belt-buckle, his Frostgrave role may be a Summoner.


And here are the three of them together! The Derro Leader's scale armor is a little more apparent from this angle. All in all, I had fun with these guys--as Bones go, they didn't have too much extraneous detail, and their somewhat exaggerated features give them some character. I ended up playing around with some unusual color choices as well, especially with the first two.

I have some more Bones in my queue, but I think I'm ready for a change of pace--my next goal will be to get some officers and flags painted for my 19th-century imagi-nations...

2 comments:

  1. Well, whatever kind of dwares they are, they look pretty good with your painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got to agree; thise look fantastic, in at least two senses of the word. :)

    ReplyDelete